The U.S. Geological Survey has some insight into what lies beneath/near/on the Arctic Circle:
- An estimated 90 billion barrels of recoverable oil
- Enough oil to supply the WORLD’s needs for nearly 3 years.
- Maybe 1.670 trillion cubic fee of natural gas
- About 13% of the world’s undiscovered oil
- About 30% of the world’s undiscovered natural gas
- About 20% of the world’s undiscovered natural gas liquids
- Some 400 oil and gas fields north of the Arctic Circle
- The home to polar bears already losing their natural habitat to melting of their land
- A possible cause for a conflict between Russia, Canada, Norway, Denmark and the United States who are laying claim to chunks of the huge energy resources.
So, should we go drilling or not? Remember what arthroscopic surgery can do before answering that question.